Position: Manager of Communications
Reports To: Councilmember Cherelle Parker and Chief of Staff
The Manager of Communications advances the work of the Councilmember through strategic communications, which includes earned media, social media campaigns, digital organizing, and direct communication with constituents and community organizations. The Manager works closely with the policy and community outreach staff to develop and disseminate the office’s legislative and political messages to a broad range of audiences. The Manager of Communications also composes and edits a variety of written materials, including promotional materials, official correspondence, and public statements and speeches.
Skills and Experience:
Excellent writing and communications skills; media relations; social media management; basic graphic design; digital photography; e-blasts; web communications; understanding of key policy issues at the local, state, and national level. Minimum 3-5 years experience overseeing communications for a government, nonprofit, or advocacy organization.
- Develop an overarching strategic communications framework for the Councilmember and her brand, including messaging, tactics, and timeline, and implement digital organizing strategies as part of major legislative and policy initiatives in collaboration with policy and community outreach staff.
- Develop messaging and public-facing materials in collaboration with policy and community outreach staff for legislative, policy, and community initiatives, including talking points, one-pagers, online graphics, newsletters, and flyers.
- Manage official social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), w includes documenting daily events, updates, information, and accomplishments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters across print, radio, television, and online media.
- Maintain a current contact list for print, broadcast, and online media.
- Facilitate quotes, interviews, and the provision of background information to media in a timely manner and regularly pursue media opportunities.
- Organize press conferences and support community events, including the planning, promotion, documentation, and execution of said events.
- Create infographics, social media graphics, signage, and other visual materials (our office currently uses Canva).
- Maintain office communication database for the purpose of sending regular e-blasts to constituents, community organizations, and other stakeholders (our office currently uses Constant Contact, but experience with Mailchimp or another program is fine).
- Write citations, condolence and recommendation letters, and other correspondence for
- Internally inform Team Parker on City, state, and national level policy, legislation, and current events.
- Internally track and notify Team Parker of media stories where the Councilmember or her work is mentioned.
- Request and gather demographic and other data from Council Technical Staff or outside sources as needed.
- Be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
- Accompany Councilmember to events, community meetings, and media interviews.
- Address constituent service issues as assigned.
- Support the general administrative needs of the office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the title of the role you are applying to in the subject line by January 31, 2022 at 5pm.
All applicants must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination or request an exemption for a documented medical concern and/or a sincerely held religious belief, on or before their starting date.