During the first half of 2017, Philadelphia City Council members showed their support for events and official observances that celebrate the diversity of the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection. These events included:
- From January 13, 2017, Councilman David Oh (At Large) hosted the annual Korean Flag Raising at City Hall. Council members Allan Domb (At Large), Helen Gym (At Large), Bill Greenlee (At Large) also attended.
- From January 26, 2017, Councilman Curtis Jones Jr. (4th District) and Councilwoman Helen Gym hosted a press conference in support of their resolution:
“Upholding the City of Philadelphia’s support for and protection of Muslim communities, condemning violence and hate speech targeted towards Muslims, affirming the religious pluralism of the United States…” Council members Jannie Blackwell (3rd District), Allan Domb, Derek Green (At Large), and Bill Greenlee also attended.
- From February 23, 2017, Councilwoman Blondell Reynolds Brown (At Large) hosted the annual African-American History Month celebration in Council Chambers.
- From March 8, 2017, Councilwomen Blondell Reynolds Brown and Cherelle Parker (9th District) hosted a meet and greet with Eman Amasha, Deputy Ambassador of Israel to Bulgaria, as a part of their celebration of International Women’s Day.
- From March 9, 2017, Councilman Bobby Henon (6th District) honored the organizers of the 2017 Philadelphia St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Grand Marshall Barney Boyce. Henon attended the parade held later that week, along with Council members Al Taubenberger (At Large) and Helen Gym.
- From March 20, 2017, Councilman Green introduced a resolution recognizing March 27th through April 1st ,2017 as the first Immigrant Business Week in the City of Philadelphia.
- From March 30, 2017, Councilwoman Helen Gym led a presentation recognizing March 31, 2017 as Transgender Day of Visibility in the City of Philadelphia.
- From April 20, 2017, Councilman Brian O’Neill (10th District) led a presentation in solemn recognition of the week of April 23 to 30, 2017 as the Annual Remembrance of the Six Million Jewish Martyrs Who Perished During The Holocaust.
- From May 4, 2017, Councilman Green spoke on the passage of his bill, no. 170334: “Amending Chapter 9-1100 of The Philadelphia Code, entitled “Fair Practices Ordinance: Protections Against Unlawful Discrimination,” by adding a provision authorizing the Commission on Human Relations to order a respondent to cease operations as a remedial measure, under certain terms and conditions.”
- From June 8, 2017, Council members Blondell Reynolds Brown and Derek Green attended the raising of Philadelphia’s new Pride Flag at City Hall.
- From June 11, 2017, Council members Jannie Blackwell and Kenyatta Johnson (2nd District) joined Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf, Congressman Bob Brady, State Senator Sharif Street and State Representative Joanna McClinton Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney and thousands of Philadelphians for the 42nd Annual Odunde Festival, the largest African-American street festival in the country.
- From June 12, 2017, Council members Al Taubenberger, Derek Green, Councilman David Oh, Mark Squilla (1st District) and Allan Domb joined Mayor Jim Kenney; Charles Horton, Executive Director, Mayor’s Commission for People with Disabilities; German Parodi, President of Disabled in Action of PA; LaToya Maddox, ADAPT member and other advocates for the 2nd Annual Disability Flag Raising at City Hall.
- From June 18, 2017, Council members Helen Gym and Mark Squilla attended the 29th Annual Pride Day LGBT Parade and Festival.
Watch video clips: