Philadelphia City Council is seeking candidates for the position of Director of the Philadelphia Office of Veterans Affairs.
Department: Philadelphia Office of Veterans Affairs
Open Dates: November 3, 2021 – December 3, 2021
The Philadelphia Office of Veterans Affairs locates and refers veterans to the appropriate government and social service agencies who provide them with counseling, services, and benefits they are entitled to. The office also works with local veterans’ organizations, governmental agencies, non-profit and corporate service providers in setting and effectuating a robust advocacy agenda for the City’s veteran community.
- Ensuring the proper operation of Philadelphia Office of Veterans Affairs, located in room 127 City Hall, including supervision of all office staff and volunteers.
- Aiding individuals in the armed forces, veterans, or their respective dependents in the determination of eligibility for veteran assistance.
- Assisting individuals in the armed forces, veterans or their respective dependents in the completion and submission of the appropriate Federal, State, and local forms in compliance with current regulations and policies.
- Working with the City’s 9 member Veterans Advisory Commission in setting and effectuating an advocacy agenda for Philadelphia’s veteran community.
- Ensuring the appropriate recording of veteran grave registration data.
- Making referrals to agencies in assisting veterans seeking employment.
- Keeping abreast of legislative changes and federal regulations relating to veterans’ affairs.
- Utilizing techniques of interviewing, including accurately collecting, evaluating, verifying, and recording information.
- Preparing the Veterans Advisory Commission’s meeting agendas and minutes.
- Representing the City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia City Council, and the Office of Veterans Affairs n in a professional, responsible, and trustworthy manner.
- Establishing and maintaining effecting working relationship with co-workers, constituents, and other social services agencies, and members of the general public.
- Collecting data, keeping accurate records, and preparing reports for the Veterans Advisory Commission and City Council.
- Must be a Veteran.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, OR at least five (5) years’ experience in veteran counseling.
- Must attend training and attain national accreditation and continuing education certification as required by the Title 51 PA C.S. Chapter 17 Subchapter 8 within one (1) year of employment.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have sufficient computer skills and knowledge in Microsoft Office.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is up to $ 70,000, depending on the candidate’s experience.
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
- Successful candidate must be a City of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire.
- As a condition of employment with the City of Philadelphia, employees starting employment on or after September 1, 2021 must be vaccinated.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected]. For more information, please visit the Human Relations website.
Candidates must submit a resume and 2 letters of recommendation to Director of Human Resource, Virginia Folino at [email protected].
Deadline: December 3, 2021