Councilmember Anthony Phillips (9th District) seeks qualified applicants for the role of Communications Coordinator for his City Council office.
The Communications Coordinator advances the work of the Councilman Anthony Phillips through strategic communications, which includes earned media, social media campaigns, digital organizing, and direct communication with constituents and community organizations. The Coordinator works closely with the policy and community outreach staff to develop and disseminate the office’s legislative and political messages to a broad range of audiences. The Communications Coordinator also composes and edits a variety of written materials, including promotional materials, official correspondence, and public statements and speeches.
Excellent writing and communications skills; media relations; social media management; basic graphic
design; digital photography; e-blasts; web communications; understanding of key policy issues at the
local, state, and national level. Two years minimum experience overseeing communications for
Spanish speaking, Bachelors Degree in Political Science or English, experience overseeing
communications for a government, nonprofit, or advocacy organization, experience with Adobe Create
Cloud or similar programs.
- Develop an overarching strategic communications framework for the Councilmember Phillips and his brand, including messaging, tactics, and timeline, and implement digital organizing strategies as part of major legislative and policy initiatives in collaboration with policy and community outreach team.
- Develop messaging and public-facing materials in collaboration with policy and community outreach staff for legislative, policy, and community initiatives, including talking points, onepagers, online graphics, newsletters and flyers.
- Manage official social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), which includes documenting daily events, updates, information and accomplishments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters across print, radio, television and online media.
- Maintain a current contact list for print, broadcast and online media.
- Facilitate quotes, interviews and the provision of background information to media in a timely manner and regularly pursue media opportunities.
- Organize press conferences and support community events, including the planning, promotion, documentation and execution of said events.
- Create infographics, social media graphics, signage, and other visual materials.
Maintain office communication database for the purpose of sending regular e-blasts to constituents, community organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Write citations, condolence and recommendation letters and other correspondence for Councilmember Phillips.
- Internally inform Team Phillips on City, state, and national level policy, legislation and current
- Internally track and notify Team Phillips of media stories where the Councilmember Phillips or his work is mentioned.
- Request and gather demographic and other data from Council Technical Staff or outside sources as needed.
Be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
- Accompany Councilmember Phillips to events, community meetings and media interviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Email a copy of your resume and cover letter to [email protected].