Councilmember Katherine Gilmore Richardson (At Large) seeks qualified applicants for the role of Communications Manager for her City Council office.
The Communications Manager sole responsibility is to build an active public presence for the Councilmember through multiple channels, including media relations, social and digital content, speech-writing, public appearances, and written correspondence. Developing and sustaining a communications strategy that elevates the Councilmember and her work citywide is required.
- Development of an overall communication strategy.
- Development of communications strategy for each legislative session.
- Drafting of speeches or talking points for all speaking engagements.
- Collaboration with team members to uplift policy work, community engagement, and events through strategic messaging and communication campaigns.
- Management of member’s PHLCouncil website content and social media.
- Development of weekly electronic newsletter, biannual newsletter, one-page legislative summary reports and office graphics.
- Draft op-eds on current events that intersect with the brand, along with annual op-eds on areas that we are considered thought leaders.
- Develop PSAs for office related and other relevant events/issues.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with traditional and new media outlets
- Attend events with the Councilmember or represent the Councilmember as her surrogate.
- Create or assist with creation of all office flyers, programs, and brochures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Councilmember and Chief of Staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or relevant field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in media relations, communications, journalism, or public affairs.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Must be able to think analytically and strategically.
- Experience with media relations as well as building and maintaining relationships with members of the press.
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Must become a resident of Philadelphia within 6 months of being hired.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia City Council and public affairs in Philadelphia is a plus.
PROSPECTIVE SALARY RANGE
$55,000-$60,000 based on experience.
- Email a copy of your resume, three professional references and cover letter to [email protected]