In light of the extremely unsafe condition of Vare Recreation Center, I believe the administration’s decision to close the rec center is best for the community. We can build a new recreation center, but we cannot bring your child back to life if the roof collapses.
I feel confident that Commissioner Ott Lovell and her staff did everything in their power to avoid closing the rec center but were unable to do so. I’ve heard from a lot of parents that losing Vare is like losing a second home for their children, which is a testament to the value of a great recreation center in a neighborhood. For that reason, I have already given the Mayor’s Office notice that Vare is a priority site for Rebuild.
Until Vare can reopen, programming will be relocated to other nearby recreation centers. All participants in organized sports and programming have been notified by Parks & Recreation. I want to take this time to highlight some alternative recreation centers and playgrounds in South Philadelphia with quality facilities and programming:
- Smith Playground: 2100 S 24th St, Philadelphia, PA 19145 | Directions
- D. Finnegan Playground: 1231 S 30th St, Philadelphia, PA 19146 | Directions
- DiSilvestro Playground: 1701 S 15th St, Philadelphia, PA 19145 | Directions
- Murphy Recreation Center: 300 W Shunk St, Philadelphia, PA 19148 | Directions
- Guerin Recreation Center: 2201 S 16th St, Philadelphia, PA 19145 | Directions
- Grays Ferry PAL: 3225 Reed Street, Philadelphia, PA 19146 | Directions
I stand with the community and will do everything I can while we rectify this situation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 215-686-3412 or email@example.com
# # #
Councilman Kenyatta Johnson, a former Pennsylvania State Representative, represents the 2nd Council District which includes parts of Center City, South Philadelphia, and Southwest Philadelphia. More information at phlcouncil.com/KenyattaJohnson