The Philadelphia Office of Veterans Affairs is currently seeking qualified applicants for a Full-Time Veterans Service Officer. This position will provide dedicated support to Veteran constituents by counseling, advising, and assisting military service Veterans, survivors, and their dependents. In addition, other administrative duties will include responding to inquiries as it relates to Veterans affairs, claims, and benefits; maintaining records; and processing Office of Veterans Affairs documents.
- Advises Veterans, Veterans survivors, and their dependents of their rights under military benefits acts and other relevant legislation.
- Conducts interviews with Veterans and their dependents to obtain a comprehensive case history in order to determine eligibility of benefits.
- Assist Veterans and their dependents in the office and other public offices in the preparation and follow-up of applications for local, state, and federal benefits to include Real Estate Tax Exemption, financial requests, and discharge requests for qualified Veterans.
- Reviews and files claims for Veteran benefits.
- Develops and maintains close relationships with other Veteran service organizations (i.e., non-profit organizations, corporations, and governmental organizations).
- Assists in public relations to widely distribute general information regarding Veterans benefits.
- Performs other administrative assignments as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current local, federal, and state legislation relating to benefits for Veterans and their dependents
- Knowledge of programs and activities of other agencies rendering services to Veterans
- Knowledge of legal documents and processes required to file for benefits/claims
- Project management experience, whether through prior military or civilian employment
- Customer service/customer relationship experience, whether through prior military or civilian employment
- Ability to respectfully conduct interviews of a personal nature with Veterans and/or their families in order to obtain accurate and complete information
- Ability to write complete/accurate reports and make specific recommendations.
Preferred Education, Experience & Certifications/Licences:
- Veteran status with Honorable discharge preferred; ideally noncommissioned officer or junior officer background.
- Veteran Service Officer (VSO) accreditation preferred, or ability to earn accreditation within one (1) year of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in political science, public policy, public health or related field preferred.
- Customer service, business, or entrepreneurship experience preferred.
- Successful candidate must be a City of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire.
- Four years experience in general office work and dealing with the public.
- Strong writing skills are desirable.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, team focused mentality, and committed to continuous learning.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, OneNote, Adobe, PowerPoint and Excel.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, DD-214 (if applicable) and two (2) professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Veteran Service Officer” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is March 31, 2019.