The Office of Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson (2nd District) seeks a motivated individual who is committed to public service to serve as a Legislative Aide.
Represent Councilmember Johnson to community and neighborhood groups. Perform information and referral duties related to individuals and groups requesting assistance from Councilmember Johnson. Speak on behalf of Councilmember Johnson with citizens at meetings and on the telephone to identify problems, determine assistance needed, and refer issues to appropriate governmental departments for resolution. Inform Councilmember Johnson of ongoing issue progress and resolution. Report activities regularly to the Chief of Staff and Director of Legislation.
- Assist the Director of Legislation with researching, drafting and writing legislation sponsored by Councilmember Johnson.
- Track progression of Councilmember Johnson’s bills and resolutions along with other member’s bills and resolutions through the legislative process.
- Assist in preparation for Council hearings.
- Interact with the public, constituents, community groups, and others on behalf of Councilmember Johnson in a way that is professional and respectful.
- Receive complaints and inquiries from the public, constituents, community groups and others in order to research and provide or make necessary referral to the appropriate government office/agency for resolution.
- Participate at meetings and events on behalf of Councilmember Johnson as needed, providing Chief of Staff with written briefing shortly following.
- Maintain open and confidential communication with Councilmember Johnson.
- Ensure follow-up of constituent inquiries/problems.
- Write letters to constituents and others.
- Conduct research on complex issues.
- Work cooperatively and jointly with other City Councilmembers’ staff to provide seamless constituent service.
- Assist Communications Director in updating social media, newsletters and other Council internal and external media to help communicate important policy and legislative issues.
- Utilize the utmost professionalism when dealing with angry or distraught constituents.
- Maintain confidentiality on all issues when working on City Council assignments and issues discussed during City Council meetings.
- Organize meetings for Councilmember Johnson with the public, city agencies, local organizations, elected officials, and others.
- Schedule appointments maintain calendar and keep Councilmember Johnson informed.
- Photograph Councilmember Johnson at various functions, meetings, and legislative appointments.
- Review/monitor media sources to keep Councilmember Johnson and staff up to date on current issues and searches for information that may benefit or affect the 2nd District and its constituents.
- Arrange logistics for Councilmember Johnson’s visitors or witnesses to be seated in Council Chambers for hearings and official events.
- Exhibit high level of professionalism in conduct, work ethics and appearance.
- Complete all other duties assigned by the Councilmember Johnson, the Chief of Staff and the Director of Legislation.
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your resume should include your education, training and/or experience which meets each job requirement including employer, experience/responsibilities and dates (month/year) of employment/training.
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Outgoing “people person” who can solve problems and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A background or strong interest in policy and policy research.
- Experience in customer relations.
- An interest or background in city government, public policy and politics.
- Ability to interact professionally with people at all levels inside and outside Council.
- Ability to research and analyze relevant constituent and legislative issues, to track legislation and prepare member briefings and materials.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks accurately and efficiently under time constraints.
- Ability to exhibit high level of professionalism and maintain confidentiality.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and major social media platforms.
This is a full time position within the City of Philadelphia with benefits, with salary based on experience. If not a Philadelphia resident, you must move into the city within six months of employment.