Philadelphia City Council is seeking candidates for the position of Director of the Philadelphia’s Veterans Advisory Commission Office.
The Veteran’s Advisory Commission Office locates and refers veterans to the appropriate government and social service agencies who provide them with counseling the services and benefits they are entitled to. The office also works with local veterans’ organizations, governmental agencies, non-profit and corporate service providers in setting and effectuating a robust advocacy agenda for the City’s veteran community.
- Ensuring the proper operation of Philadelphia’s Veterans Advisory Commission Office, located in Rm. 127 City Hall, including supervision of all office staff and volunteers.
- Aiding individuals in the armed forces, veterans or their respective dependents in the determination of eligibility for veteran assistance.
- Assisting individuals in the armed forces, veterans or their respective dependents in the completion and submission of the appropriate Federal, State and local forms in compliance with current regulations and policies.
- Working with the City’s nine-member Veterans Advisory Commission in setting and effectuating an advocacy agenda for Philadelphia’s veteran community.
- Ensuring the appropriate recording of veteran grave registration data.
- Making referrals to agencies in assisting veterans seeking employment.
- Keeping abreast of legislative changes and federal regulations relating to veterans affairs.
- Utilizing techniques of interviewing, including accurately collecting, evaluating, verifying and recording information.
- Preparing the Veterans Advisory Commission’s meeting agendas and minutes.
- Representing the City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia City Council and the Veterans Advisory Commission in a professional, responsible and trustworthy manner.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, constituents, and other social services agencies, and members of the general public.
- Collecting data, keeping accurate records, and preparing reports for the Veterans Advisory Commission and City Council.
- Must be a veteran.
- Must be a resident of the City of Philadelphia; OR become one within six (6) months of employment.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, OR at least five (5) years experience in veteran counseling.
- Must attend training and attain national accreditation and continuing education certification as required by the Title 51 PA C.S. Chapter 17 Subchapter 8 within one (1) year of employment.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have sufficient computer skills and knowledge in Microsoft Office.
Candidates must submit a resume and 2 letters of recommendation to Human Resources Director, Linda Rios Neuby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: July 15, 2017
Contact: (215) 686-2070
Share this Post