The Office of City Councilmember Helen Gym, a progressive champion whose work moves at the local and national level, seeks a motivated individual who is committed to public service to serve as Community Liaison.
This position is critical to the Councilmember’s public facing and advocacy efforts. It requires maintaining and expanding community-based alliances and partnerships and assisting with organizing efforts and campaigns.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, able to work evening hours and weekends, and a strong team player who can move across different departments to assist their fellow staff members.
- Represent the Councilmember at community meetings and events and identify opportunities for partnership.
- Represent the Councilmember at public events as necessary, including public speaking and participation on panels.
- Accompany the Councilwoman to major events and functions.
- Maintain a social media presence to amplify office initiatives, and provide support for the Councilmember’s social media profiles.
- Plan and manage events for the Councilmember, including town halls, panels, press conferences, and other public activities and deliver turnout for each event.
- Support the Councilmember’s team of volunteers and build a citywide team of leaders to promote the Councilmember’s agenda, including leading volunteer orientations and event staffing.
- Identify emerging leaders and potential campaign issues which advance the Councilmember’s legislative and advocacy agenda.
- Manage robust communications and timely correspondence, including database management and thoughtful follow-up with various constituencies.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a deep commitment to justice and strong alignment with the Councilmember’s agenda.
- Have professional or personal experience in community organizing/outreach work and demonstrable experience in moving constituencies to action.
- Capable of working collaboratively and handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong listening and communications skills, both written and spoken. Bilingual skills are preferred.
- Feel comfortable meeting new people and entering new spaces
This is a full time position within the City of Philadelphia with benefits, with salary based on experience. If not a Philadelphia resident, you must move into the city within six months of employment. Typical hours are adjusted for regular evening work: 10:30am to 7pm. This position requires two working weekends per month on average. This position is currently budgeted at $45,000 to $50,000 per year. Must have a valid PA driver’s license and own a car.
Submit your resume, two reference contacts, and a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and how you believe you can contribute to the office’s mission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
People of color, women, bilingual speakers, LBGT and gender non-conforming people, formerly incarcerated people, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.