The Office of Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson (2nd District) seeks a motivated individual who is committed to public service to serve as Communications Liaison.
- Serve as the Councilman’s spokesperson; handle all press inquiries and interview requests; proactively reach out to TV, radio, and print press to produce coverage of the Councilman’s issues and events; build and maintain strong working relationships with members of the press.
- Monitor cell phone and e-mail outside of traditional work hours for urgent media requests.
- Conduct research for and brief the Councilman on issues of public interest –especially before news interviews, public appearances, etc.
- Draft all of the Councilman’s press releases and official statements.
- Conduct research for and draft the Councilman’s speeches; work with Chief of Staff to arrange logistics for speaking engagements
- Handle all requests for official photographs and biographies; design and draft ads.
- Maintain the Councilman’s Social Media Activity: Face-book, Web-site, blogs and tweets.
- Send out periodic e-newsletters to e-subscribers through Constant Contact.
- Work with the City Council’s public information firm to draft content for the City Council Web site, the annual report, Council meeting press releases, joint Council statements, etc.; approve all quotes drafted for the Councilman.
- Take photos of the Councilman (or arrange for other staff to take them) for use in newsletters, the Web site, press releases, etc.
- Maintain a contact database of press contacts and supporters.
- Draft formal letters for the Councilman when requested, especially letters intended for release to the press or letters on topics of great public interest.
- Attend events with and/or on behalf of the Councilman — especially press events (including press conferences, ribbon-cuttings, etc.)
- Work occasional evening events — especially those related to the press, or to an issue that is of great public interest.Write letters for special events, condolences, congratulations, sponsorship etc.
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a full time position within the City of Philadelphia with benefits, with salary based on experience. If not a Philadelphia resident, you must move into the city within six months of employment.