Councilwoman Cindy Bass’ 6th Annual Summer Events Series returns to Philadelphia on July 9 and will run through August 29! The FREE event series is in its 6th year and has drawn nearly 18,000 attendees to enjoy our city’s outdoor neighborhood spaces as part of the Reclaiming Our Public Spaces campaign. The 2018 Summer Events Series includes outdoor happenings every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
Monday brings Showtime at the Apollo to Stenton Park, 4600 N. 16th Street. It’s a talent show and trivia challenge where people can perform and compete to win prizes. There’s also a mini carnival setup for kids with a moon bounce, caricature artists and face painters, a free crab feast and free hotdogs and hamburgers each week. Families can enjoy live entertainment, a DJ, and plenty of activities for children while outrageous event host Derek Lee of D+J Entertainment emcees the evening.
Billboard-charted Breakwater Band will open Jazz in the Park, a free outdoor concert-style event which runs every Tuesday beginning July 10. Host Serena ‘Sol’ Brown is billing this year’s event as “Battle of the Bands,” and it attracts professional artists from around the region. The Urban Guerilla Orchestra (UGO), which has previously performed Wawa Welcome America July 4 concert, will close out the weekly event with a free performance.
On Wednesday, Oldies in the Park in Vernon Park is one of the most attended events. Located on the Germantown Avenue business and historic corridor, in front of the Black Writers Museum, the event features a food vendor and varying interactive activities for families. It’s an outdoor dance party with the Legendary Philly DJ Gary O spinning hits from the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s while attendees dance the night away. Last year, renowned photographer Jamel Shabazz took free portraits at Oldies through a partnership with Mural Arts Philadelphia.
Finally, Fridays bring a fan favorite with Outdoor Movie Nights in various locations. Germantown movie nights at Vernon Park feature free outdoor movie screenings of family-friendly blockbuster hits like “Coco,” “Moana,” and “Black Panther” every Friday through August 4. Outdoor movie screenings at Nicetown Park include “Emoji Movie” and “Boss Baby.” In North Philadelphia, Panati Recreation Center hosts outdoor movie screenings including “Jumanji,” “Wonder,” and “Black Panther,” while Logan School hosts outdoor screenings through August 24 that include “I Believe” and “Avengers: Infinity War.”
Summer Events Details:
- Showtime at the Apollo
- Mondays, 6-8 p.m. July 9-August 27
- Stenton Park, 4600 N. 16th Street, Entrance Near Windrim Ave. and W. Wyoming Ave.
- Jazz in the Park
- Tuesdays, 6-9 p.m., July 10-August 14
- Morris Estate, 1610 W. Chelten Ave., Entrance Near 17th Street and W. Chelten Ave.
- Oldies in the Park
- Wednesdays, 5:30-8:30 p.m., July 11-August 29
- Vernon Park, 5800 Germantown Ave. Entrance Near Germantown Ave. and E. Price Street.
- Germantown Movie Nights
- Fridays at dusk (7 p.m.) June 16-August 4
- Vernon Park, 5800 Germantown Ave., Entrance Near Germantown Ave. and E. Price Street.
- Nicetown Movie Nights
- Fridays at dusk (7 p.m.) July 6-August 3
- Nicetown Park, 4301 Germantown Ave. (Rain Location at Nicetown Court, 4340 Germantown Ave.)
- North Philadelphia Movie Nights
- Fridays at dusk (7 p.m.) July 13, 27, August 10, 24
- Panati Playground, 3101 N. 22nd St.
- Logan Movie Night
- Fridays at dusk (7 p.m.) June 16, July 20-August 24
- Logan School, Belfield and Lindley Avenues.